- About Us
- News & Events
- Contact Us
According to the 2012 HireRight Employment Screening Benchmarking Report, 78 percent of respondents currently conduct drug testing on some portion of their workforce.
In addition, to regulatory requirements, many employers adopt drug screening programs to mitigate the risk of hiring substance users and abusers who pose a risk to their organizations in the forms of lower productivity, increased turnover, higher insurance costs, and decreased safety in the workplace.
To address these challenges many employers are partnering with on-demand drug and health screening providers to help them better design and manage their testing programs. However, not all drug and health screening providers are the same.
Evaluating and selecting a drug screening provider can seem like a daunting task, but there are a number of critical characteristics you should consider, including:
- Industry Experience: Experience in your industry, particularly if you are subject to regulatory requirements for drug testing is essential. Many industries such as transportation have complex and evolving drug and alcohol testing regulations that make maintaining a compliant program challenging.
- In-House MRO: Does the provider possess physician-qualified in-house Medical Review Officers (MROs)? Providers with an in-house MRO are able to provide additional expertise around the drug testing process and are able to provide critical tasks such as assisting with quality control and assurance.
- Drug Testing Expertise: Conducting drug testing involves more than conducting the drug test itself. A deep experience in drug testing is required to be able to assist the employer to achieve their drug testing program goals.
- Customizable Solutions: Seek a company that offers customized solutions, not a one-size fits all program, so that you have a wide variety of testing options. Depending on the goals of your drug testing program, employers should evaluate the wide variety of drug testing options to best meet their needs.
- Advanced Technologies: Your drug testing provider should offer the most current testing technologies, including:
- Electronic documentation for every step of the testing process.
- Drug testing solutions integrated with other background screening solutions for a comprehensive view of applicant and employee screening information.
- Drug testing technology that affords easier collection methods, and longer windows between drug use and detection.
Many employers are taking positive steps towards hiring and maintaining a drug-free workplace, however, choosing the right on-demand drug testing provider is an important component of an effective drug free workplace program.
By evaluating these five factors, you will be able to better select the right on-demand drug testing provider that meets the goals of your drug-free workplace program.
Free Report: Building a Safe and Productive Workplace
Discover the key benefits of drug testing, six best practices for implementing a program and how to choose a drug screening provider by downloading:
Building a Safe and Productive Workplace: How organizations are winning with drug screening best practices.
The HireRight Blog is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be comprehensive, and is not a substitute for and should not be construed as legal advice. HireRight does not warrant any statements in the HireRight Blog. Any statutes or laws cited herein should be read in their entirety. You should direct to your own experienced legal counsel questions involving your organization's compliance with or interpretation or application of laws or regulations and any additional legal requirements that may apply.
- Candidate Experience
- Contingent Workforce
- Credit Checks
- Criminal Background Checks
- Drug Testing
- e-Recruiting Integration
- Education Verification
- Employment Background Checks
- Form I-9 & E-Verify
- Health Care Background Checks
- International Background Checks
- Outplacement Services
- Small Business
- Social Media
- Transportation Industry
- Workplace Violence
HireRight Twitter Feed
(about 1 day ago)
How Companies Incorporate HR Trends in Recruiting to Retain Top Talent - http://t.co/zlGQ2Szlv2(about 2 days ago)
Inadequate Documentation of FMCSA National Registry May be Placing Motor Carriers at Risk http://t.co/Ldl1vnoyxp(about 2 days ago)
[Video] Transportation Regulatory Update with ATA http://t.co/g2r5aWjsxE(about 3 days ago)
HireRight EMEA and APAC figures show more than half of job applications contain an error or discrepancy http://t.co/qEHqVhU63I(about 3 days ago)
- (about 1 day ago)