Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of hosting an intimate event with customers, partners and colleagues as HireRight celebrated its next phase of growth in Asia Pacific. Enjoying the views of Marina Bay Sands from our new headquarters in Singapore, and fresh off the back of an announcement of two strategic acquisitions expanding our footprint in Japan and Australia, it’s exciting times ahead as we move into 2020.
That said, our customers are at the heart of everything we do at HireRight, and our success is intrinsically linked to their success. In APAC in particular, where the hiring landscape is in a constant state of flux, we also know that keeping on top of trends and ever-changing regulations is key to success.
As such, it felt only fitting that we combine the occasion with a sneak preview of the findings from our latest HireRight APAC Employment Screening Benchmark Report. I was thrilled to be joined by Caroline Smith, Deputy General Counsel for HireRight, who offered our guests updates on the regulatory landscape in Asia Pacific and what that means for screening in the months to come.
Suffice to say it was a busy session! I was heartened to see valued members of our community gather to network, share knowledge and learn from best practices.
So, what were some of the key takeaways from the day?
- Unveiling of our new premises in Singapore – the headquarters for the region. APAC is a key growth market for HireRight and our office move is a testament to our continued commitment in the region.
- Growing capabilities in the region – HireRight recently acquired J-Screen and PeopleCheck, leading background screening providers based in Tokyo, Japan and Sydney, Australia, respectively. These strategic additions will allow us to deliver a superior offering for global customers seeking to hire from or in APAC, while customers based in the region will experience enhanced on-the-ground services.
- 2019 APAC Employment Screening Benchmark Report – Notably, watch out for the consistency of your screening practices, as well as the variety of checks being conducted. While overall candidate discrepancies are in decline, this year’s report revealed some important gaps in current processes. You can download the full report here.
- Compliance Update – Caroline shared an overview on the impact of the GDPR on screening practices in the Asia Pacific region. Markets such as South Korea, Japan, China and Singapore have already made updates to their legislation; while emerging countries including Thailand, India and Indonesia are expected to enact their own legislation.
- Customers shared insights on the screening landscape – – Valued customers took the time to shed light on the background screening practices in their organisations, as well as the common challenges they face in conducting such checks while ensuring compliance to the different in-country regulations and at the same time providing the best candidate experience possible.
Here’s a video where you can catch some of these insights and how the session went!
I would like to thank everyone who took the time out of their schedules to join us, along with all those who continue to contribute their thoughts and feedback. We could not do this without you – so cheers.
Here’s to another strong year for all.